With the immense success of "Grand Theft Auto IV," it's clear that players are having a great time wreaking havoc throughout Liberty City. But if you'd like to take a break from the action, well, enjoy some dry British humor via funnyman Ricky Gervais, who makes a cameo in the game doing standup in the Liberty City Comedy Club.

The creator of "The Office" and "Extras" surprisingly needed a bit of convincing to be part of the GTA world.

"Well, they called up my agent, and like [I say for] most things, I went, 'Nahhh,' " the comic revealed recently to MTV News. "And then they said, 'Are you mad? This is the biggest thing in the world. You're crazy.' "

I went to New York and they put me in Lycra for the day. ... I assume that was necessary [and not] them just having a laugh. They put little things over me," he said, gesturing to his body. "[The designers] showed me what it would look like, and it was incredible. They made me thinner.

"And it did about $20 billion on its opening minute," he laughed in amazement. "People queuing around the block. Some of them don't even have anything to play it on! Some of them don't even live in houses!"

For the few minutes of material Gervais performs in the video game he decided on a controversial target: the overweight. "I suppose it had to be sort of quite out there — it's not, like, prime-time TV, so I chose some of the, uh, more offensive bits," Gervais said.

"It had to be sort of, like, quite universal, because it's played all around the world. So, no parochial cultural references, so, uh ... fat people. Got 'em everywhere, haven't you? Got fat people everywhere. [The U.K.'s] got some ... America's got a lot — I saw one on 'The Jerry Springer Show' and he was about 1,000 pounds, which was incredible. They had to take the side of his house off to get him to the hospital. Which is fine, and I felt sorry for him, but my first thought was, when he got to, say, 500 pounds, didn't he go, 'That's ... a lot, isn't it? For a human.' Didn't he then go, 'You know what, I'm only going to have eight breakfasts today.' "