After becoming the first "Idol" final-four contestant to seemingly give up and try to get thrown off the show, the 20-year-old dreadlocked singer from Rockwall, Texas, got his wish Wednesday night when he was shown the door following one of the most lackluster final-round performances in "Idol" history.

For most of the night, Castro seemed even more disengaged than usual, halfheartedly clapping when David Cook was whisked to safety and flashing a look of what seemed to be sweet relief when host Ryan Seacrest teasingly suggested midway through the results show that the elimination would be coming early.

His fate was sealed by a cover of "I Shot the Sheriff" that judge Randy Jackson termed "karaoke Bob Marley" and Simon Cowell called "atrocious." Seacrest teased that Castro sang "most of" his second song, the Dylan classic "Mr. Tambourine Man," which had inspired Cowell to tell the singer to pack his bags. Castro admitted that he did gather his things after the show, quipping, "Someone said I shot the tambourine man yesterday," which drew a laugh from Cowell.

Asked why he had such a hard time Tuesday night, Castro said he thought his inexperience was catching up to him. "It's getting tough for me," he said. "I think my inexperience is coming in ... just learning ... with the two songs the week before. ... So this week I tried to pick two songs I know and even that, I screwed it up." By the time Seacrest read the results, sealed by a season-high 51 million votes, fellow bottom vote-getter Syesha Mercado did her best to look surprised as Castro gave her a hug and awkwardly said, "It's been a pleasure."

The soft-spoken singer, who seemed at ease onstage but perpetually uncomfortable during the interview segments and Ford commercials, gleefully strapped on his guitar to make his final exit. When Seacrest opined that Castro looked "relieved," without missing a beat, the singer shot back, "It's three songs next week — I don't know what I would have done!" Fittingly, even with a song he said was one of his favorites, Castro stumbled through one last performance of "I Shot the Sheriff," dropping and improvising lyrics, including "All around in my hometown/ They're trying to take me home."

(Read John Norris' David vs. David finale, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions. And relive six seasons of "Idol" hot messes and high notes in six minutes with our video timeline.