Unlike the never-ending Democratic presidential race, America won't have to wait long to find out who will win this year's "American Idol." But even before the singing champ is crowned Wednesday night, semifinalist David Cook has practically conceded the contest.

In an interview with UsMagazine following Tuesday night's show, Cook refrained from arguing with judge Simon Cowell's assertion that David Archuleta won the evening. "You know, everybody's got an opinion, and tonight was Archuleta's night," Cook reportedly told the site. "I have to concede it: The kid came out all three songs and nailed it. But I walk away from this with my head held high."

While Cook got positive remarks for his Clive Davis-chosen cover of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," Cowell preferred Archuleta's take on Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," as well as his reprise of John Lennon's "Imagine." After the first song, Cowell speculated that the crown might rest on Archuleta's head after the final elimination.

Though his take on Collective Soul's "The World I Know" drew jeers from Cowell, Cook told the magazine he didn't think his song choice was a bad one. "I don't feel like I've won it or lost it," Cook said after the show. "I feel like it's completely out of my hands. ... But I did what I set out to do tonight, which is to have fun and just embrace the moment. Mission accomplished."

And though the judges set him up as the almost unbeatable winner-to-be, Archuleta told the magazine that he's not getting fitted for the crown just yet. "Even though Simon wasn't so favoring Cook, he did so well, and I think America will realize that," Archuleta reportedly told the site. "You never know what will happen."

No matter who ends up winning, Archuleta said he looks up to the older competitor. "I just feel it's cool to be able to be next to [Cook], someone you look up to," he said.

Get your "Idol" fix on MTV News' "American Idol" page, where you'll find all the latest news, interviews and opinions. And relive six seasons of "Idol" hot messes and high notes in six minutes with our video timeline.